General contractors want subcontractors to submit your proposals through BuildingConnected to simplify the bidding process for everyone. Use this guide to make sure you successfully submit your proposals, so you can get your bids reviewed faster and increase your chances of winning the projects you want.
Decide whether you’ll be bidding on the project:
- Review the project details, due dates, and location to make sure it’s within your scope—All the information can be found by clicking “View this RFP” from the ITB email or by logging into your BuildingConnected account and searching for the project on your Bid Board.
- Download the project files.
- Check your estimator’s schedule to see if someone is available to take on the work [Bid Board Pro]—The bid calendar makes it easy to manage workloads and determine if you or your team can take on the project.
Once you decide to bid:
- Respond to let the general contractor know whether you intend to bid by clicking “accept” or “decline”—Responding to bids helps make sure you’re getting invited to bid on more of the projects you’re interested in.
- Add any coworkers or vendors that need access to the project—They’ll receive an email notification and will have access to the project from their account.
- If needed ask the general contractor questions about the project by sending them a direct message—Go to the "messages" tab on the bid. The general contractor will be notified that you sent a message right away.
- Review the bid form before starting the estimating process to accurately prepare your proposal—Under the bid form tab, you’ll see how the general contractor is requesting the information.
- Assign the project to the teammate responsible for the bid. [Bid Board Pro]—They’ll be notified that they were assigned the bid and you’ll always know who’s working on what.
- Sync your calendar to make sure you hit your due dates. [Bid Board Pro]—All the project due dates will automatically show up on your personal calendar and will reflect any changes the general contractor makes to the due dates.
- Check if any other general contractors are bidding on the project [Bid Board Pro]—Increase you chances of winning by submitting your bid to all the general contractors.
Submit your proposal directly through BuildingConnected:
- Fill out all the required fields on the bid form—Any required fields will be highlighted with a red asterisk.
- Attach any additional PDFs or supporting documents.
- Submit the proposal—The main point of contact designated by the general contractor will be notified right away that you’ve submitted your proposal. Your proposal is only shared with the general contractor that invited you to bid. All bids are private and secure to your account.
- Create a revision if needed—Click “Create a Revision” and make any changes to your proposal. Once you hit “Submit”, the general contractor will be notified that a revision was submitted.
- Set a follow-up date [Bid Board Pro]—Follow-up dates help make sure you don’t forget to follow up with general contractors. The date will automatically sync to your calendar.
Have you heard back from the general contractor?
- Follow up with the general contractor to see if the project has been awarded—Follow-up dates will automatically be added to your calendar and the general contractors contact information can be found on the bid overview so you can easily call or email to check in.
- Set the outcome for the project after you’ve heard back from the general contractor—to start tracking how you and your team are performing.
- Track hit rates on your leaderboard [Bid Board Pro]—Understand which projects you should be bidding on in the future and how you and your team are performing.
Nice work! Check out the rest of the resources in the essential bidding toolkit to see how you can win more of the jobs you want.
Plus, learn how you can start managing all of your bid invites in one place (even if you were invited outside of BuildingConnected) with Bid Board Pro.