As a general contractor using TradeTapp, you can push backlog data from your enterprise resource planning (ERP) or accounting system to TradeTapp so you can automatically update your vendor’s internal backlog.
The vendor backlog amount will be displayed in your TradeTapp account both on the vendor profile, and on the vendor grid. This means you can easily track against the vendor's internal limits.
You can automate the delivery of your internal backlog data to TradeTapp by using a Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) service. The following instructions can be used by your IT team to set up the connection with your ERP or accounting system:
- Send your public secure shell key (SSH key) to email@example.com so that the TradeTapp team can create credentials for your company.
- Test your connection to TradeTapp’s directory once you have received your company’s unique username and address from TradeTapp.
- Create a script or an automated task to send internal backlog data to TradeTapp. This must be done by your internal IT team. An SFTP client can also be used to automate the sending of files.
To send your public SSH key to TradeTapp
Your public SSH key allows you to establish secure connections between remote networks.
Please send your public SSH key with the .pub file extension to firstname.lastname@example.org. The public key provided must be associated with a private key on the server that will be used to connect to the SFTP service to send files.
Once we have received your public SSH key, we will provide you with a unique username and address for your company in the format of email@example.com.
If you do not already have a public SSH key, please reference this article for steps on how to generate an SSH key pair.
To test your connection with TradeTapp’s directory
Once you have received your company’s unique username and address in the format shown above, you can test your connection with TradeTapp’s directory.
Open your Command Line Interface and enter the following command to confirm you can connect to TradeTapp’s internal backlog directory for your company:
To test uploading a file, please upload an empty .txt file then enter the following command. Please note that the full file path should be provided.
sftp> put FILE_PATH
Finally, enter the command below to view all files listed in your company’s internal backlog directory. If your connection was successful, you will see the empty .txt file listed.
I’m having trouble connecting to the SFTP service. How can I troubleshoot?
Some typical reasons for having trouble connecting to the SFTP service are:
- The correct SSH key pair is not on the server being used to connect to the SFTP service. The private key associated with the public key provided to TradeTapp must be on the machine you’re using.
- There are multiple public keys on the machine, and a different one was provided for set-up than the one configured for the file transfer.
- Permissions issues - the .ssh directory should have 700 permissions.
- If you are receiving an error while trying to connect using an SFTP client, try to connect via the command line. If you are able to connect using the command line, this will isolate troubleshooting to the client you are using.
To send vendor backlog data to TradeTapp
Once you have confirmed you have successfully connected to TradeTapp’s directory, please create a file containing vendor backlog data. The file format requirements are as follows:
- The file should use the .CSV file extension.
- The file name should not contain any spaces.
- The file size should be no larger than 3MB.
- The file should be formatted as shown below. Please note that column headers are required and must be sent exactly as indicated in the table below.
- Text fields should be enclosed in double quotes so that any commas inside the text fields will not be considered field separators.
Once your .CSV file is set up using the format above, your IT team will be able to create a script to automate the sending of the file to our directory using the SFTP service. An SFTP client can also be used to automate the sending of files.
How quickly will the files be imported?
As soon as a new file is received, TradeTapp will import the file and display the data in your TradeTapp account.
There may be around a 10-20 second processing delay, but the data should be available in your account shortly after the file is received.
Can we use an SFTP client to view the files we sent to TradeTapp via SFTP?
Yes. Using your preferred SFTP client, you can view your company’s home directory. The home directory is where you can see all the files you have sent to TradeTapp’s internal backlog directory.
To view your home directory using a graphical user interface (GUI), enter the following information in your chosen SFTP client when prompted:
- Server: sftp-upload.buildingconnected.com
- Username: the username provided to you by TradeTapp in the format of firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SSH Private Key: the path of your private key that corresponds to the public key you provided to email@example.com.
More information on configuring an SFTP client can be found in this article.
What data will be displayed in TradeTapp?
The TradeTapp import service will aggregate outstanding balances across all projects (‘outstanding_value’ column) for each tax ID (‘tax_id’ column) and display the vendor’s total dollar amount in the vendor profile header and ‘Internal Backlog’ column of the vendor grid.
When a vendor approaches their internal total limit, a yellow flag will appear next to its backlog value. If a vendor has exceeded its internal total limit, an orange flag will appear next to its backlog value. You will also be able to see the date of the most recent import in the vendor profile and vendor grid.
The ‘Projects’ tab in the vendor profile will display all project information included in the file. The data will be displayed exactly as it was sent in the file.
I don’t see a vendor’s backlog data in my TradeTapp account. Why not?
There are a few reasons a vendor’s backlog may not appear. Our import service will skip rows if any of the following is applicable:
- the ‘tax_id’ is missing
- the ‘tax_id’ is not 9 digits
- ‘outstanding_value’ is left blank
If there are issues with ‘tax_id’ or ‘outstanding_value’ column, the TradeTapp team will reach out to let you know which rows were unable to be uploaded.
It is also important to note, that only data from the most recent file will be available in your TradeTapp account. If you do not see a vendor’s backlog in your TradeTapp account, it is likely that the vendor’s backlog wasn’t in the file most recently delivered to the TradeTapp SFTP directory.
Do the Project Approval Request ‘Risk Assessments’ take Internal Backlog into consideration?
Yes. If the request project amount plus the vendor’s internal outstanding balance will exceed their internal limit, this will be included as a risk.
If you have further questions about how to sync vendor backlog data with TradeTapp or where this data can be viewed, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re happy to help!